Thursday, February 25, 2010

Momnesia

Pregnancy and motherhood don't cause women to have memory lapses and other cognitive problems, even though the concept of ''pregnancy brain'' and ''momnesia'' are widely accepted, according to a new Australian study.

I will call their bluff on this one. Sure give me a math test before and after I am pregnant and I will probably be just fine. But remembering the diaper bag, do we have wipes, bottles, formula, etc. oh crap no I have lost my keys. I think that hormonally and emotionally we are spread so thin. Metaphorically speaking, you try taking one tablespoon of peanut butter and making two sandwiches for you "starving" children. It's hard, not that it can't be done, not that it won't work, it's just hard. When you are at work your mind is at home, when you are home you wonder did I do enough today at work. And all the while you do this while changing a diaper with one hand and making a cake in the other. Gross I know but you catch what I am trying to say?!

In a perfect world the beds would be made every morning, supper would be on the table at 5:30, and all of the kids would be washed and in bed by 8:30. Come on world, give us, Moms and Dads, some slack. When you take on the responsibilty of raising children your mind is a constant whirl wind of "To Do" lists. So if I come to work with spit up on my shoulder, or one black and one navy shoe, don't pity me. I am proud of who I am and what I have become. Welcome to ParentHood.

3 comments:

Kristen Kibbe said...

Hey Jeanell,

I just love reading your mommy blogs! I just loved getting to know you a little bit at Amber's wedding and its good to get to "meet" your family through your blogs :)

ashley said...

AWESOME POST, MY DEAR! HAHA, THIS IS IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE GRACE ALWAYS TRIES TO TYPE WHILE I'M ON THE COMPUTER. JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF HOW FUN PARENTHOOD IS!

Writer Red said...

I like this... But I do think that everyone suffers from slight amnesia on a regular basis. ;)